Posted 12 months ago
Generates quotations based on estimates of labor, materials, special processes, and documentation requirements for a varying range of complex technical opportunities by reviewing the scope of work, codes, specifications, drawings, and other relevant requirements. Communicates with customers, internal resources, vendors, and subcontractors to research, determine and estimate the cost to manufacture the opportunity within the defined parameters and prescribed time frames.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Review and understand the scope of work (SOW) including all contract documents including specifications, project scopes, drawings, and standards to prepare accurate project cost estimates
- Identifies and accounts for poorly defined scope requirements and high-risk activities and processes, communicates with customers to obtain clarification of all missing or unclear requirements
- Accurately take off material quantities from drawings to develop material and labor pricing
- Attend pre-bid meetings when required
- Participate in bid review and scope review meetings and be able to explain the SOW, estimated costs as well as assumptions and means/methods
- Manage customer expectations through communication of capabilities, capacities, lead times
- Assist management team with the development of schedules for estimate preparation, review, and publication
- Solicit quotations for material and subcontracted operations through direct contact with vendors or communicating pricing support needs to internal resources
- Generate detailed cost estimates for the labor, materials, special processes, testing, inspection, and documentation requirements needed to perform the SOW
- Prepare and submit the requisite bid documentation, responses, and proposals as required that describe in detail the inclusions, substitutions, and exclusions of the offer
- Perform follow up activities to gain the status of offered quotations to determine the probability of converting the quote into a purchase order
- Prepare detailed breakdown of components and elements of estimates for systems and subsystems
- Prepare and summarize task and subtask estimates, including rate and unit cost determination
- Accumulates, evaluates, and documents historical cost data as well as fabrication procedures and methods in order to maintain current estimating standards and databases
- Assume additional responsibilities as directed by division and corporate management. Travel as required to attend, but not limited to, meetings, site visits, training, etc.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Requires exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Decision-making skills
- Effective listening skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Time management skills
- Ability to analyze data
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related discipline is preferred but not required,
- Minimum 5-10 years of related estimating experience
- Proficient with fabrication estimating software such as FABTROL or TEKLA POWER FAB
- Travel will be required to attend training and meetings.
- Ability to sit or stand for an entire shift
- Occasionally required to stoop, bend, walk, crouch, and climb.
- Ability to lift, on a frequent basis, at least 50 pounds.
- Ability to speak, write, and understand English clearly.